Keeping Your Pets Safe from Fleas & Ticks
Keeping your pets safe from fleas and ticks requires taking steps to treat and prevent infestation. Fleas and ticks are pesky parasites that can affect pets all year round, depending on the city in which you live. In Canton, GA and nearby cities, pets may be more at risk of being infested during spring and summer. Dogs and cats spend more time outdoors during these seasons. With a parasite prevention plan and the help of a veterinarian, you can keep pets safe from fleas and ticks.
Why Parasite Prevention is Important
Parasite prevention against fleas and ticks means protecting your pets from skin infections and diseases such as Lyme disease and the potentially deadly Rocky Mountain spotted fever. These annoying parasites attach themselves to the coat, skin, and flesh of dogs and cats and suck their blood. Affected animals may show symptoms such as irritability, bite marks or rash, weakness or loss of weight.
How a Veterinarian Can Help
During regular wellness check-ups, your veterinarian in Canton, GA may recommend the following parasite prevention tips:
- Check pets regularly and thoroughly for fleas and ticks. They usually invade inside the ears, the underbelly, between the toes, and within the fur, armpits, and skin folds.
- Use a flea comb to remove fleas and ticks and use tweezers to remove stuck-on ticks. A veterinarian has tools and skills to safely remove ticks deeply attached to the flesh.
- Treat pets regularly and keep these parasites away with tick control products such as medicated topicals, shampoos, sprays, powders or collars.
- Keep pets away from bushy and woody areas where fleas and ticks infest.
- To prevent cross infestation, treat all pets immediately even if only one of them is infested.
- Clean and treat areas inside the home and outdoors, especially where pets sleep or roam.
Contact Our Local Veterinarian Today
At Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic in Canton, GA, our expert veterinarian has helped pet owners protect their pets from illnesses caused by fleas and ticks. Scheduling an appointment for a check-up is as easy as contacting us at 770-479-1905. Grooming, dental, surgical and other pet services are also provided in a loving and professional environment.